The Department offers accredited post-graduate degree programs at both the Master's and Doctorate levels.
- M.Sc. Program in Materials Science
- M.A.Sc. Program in Materials Engineering
- Ph.D. Program in Materials Science
- Ph.D. Program in Materials Engineering
In addition, there are many opportunities for research activity as Post Doctoral Fellow or Research Associate. Individual faculty members should be contacted for these positions, since vacancies occur quite irregularly.
For admission to the M.A.Sc. degree program, a strong baccalaureate degree is required with at least a B+ standing (equivalent to McMaster GPA = 8.5) in engineering, mathematics or the physical sciences.
For admission to the Ph.D. degree program: successful completion of a Master’s degree with at least a B+ average
You may request an application for graduate study in MSE at McMaster by filling out the appropriate online form below.
Materials Graduate Studies On-Line Application
- Complete and submit the
- Pay the application fee
- Statement of Interest
- Minimum TOEFL score of 80 (iBT) or 550 (paper based) OR Minimum IELTS score of 6.5, if applicable.
- One official transcript of academic work completed to date, sent directly from the issuing institution. If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, an official copy of your diploma is also required. Please ensure that the transcript states your average/GPA. If it does
not, please include an official letter from your university stating your final grade.
- Confidential Reports - now done online when filling out application.
For more information, please visit
Frequently Asked Questions
Send completed applications to:
Materials Science & Engineering
1280 Main Street West, JHE 357
Hamilton, ON L8S 4L7