Joey KishAssociate Professor Ph.D., McMaster, P.Eng.JHE 343/B
Research Areas Include:
Corrosion prediction and protection of structural materials in the automotive, aerospace, energy generation and chemical processing industries.
Corrosion performance of welded copper-lean AA7XXX extrusions for automotive exterior applications.
Self-passivation tendency and stability of wrought magnesium and Mg-Al-Zn (AZ) alloys in aqueous chloride-containing solutions.
Stress corrosion cracking and corrosion fatigue resistance structural light weight Mg alloys.
Modeling the spontaneous oscillatory corrosion kinetics exhibited by stainless steels alloys in hot, concentrated sulphuric acid solutions.
Throwing power simulation of a galvanic passivation anodic protection system for stainless steels alloys in hot, concentrated sulphuric acid solutions.
I received my undergraduate and graduate degree in Materials Science & Engineering from McMaster University in 1992 and 1999 respectively. In the course of my Ph.D., I developed a galvanic passivation model of the spontaneous oscillating active-passive corrosion behaviour exhibited by nickel-containing stainless steel when in contact with hot, concentrated sulphuric acid (H2SO4). Following my Ph.D., I joined NORAM Engineering & Constructors Limited (Vancouver, BC) in January of 1998 as a Materials Specialist. In this role, I provided materials selection support for project design teams in all major areas of business, including nitration processes, sulphuric acid manufacture, and electrochemical synthesis. In April of 2000, I joined FPInnovations – Paprican (Vancouver, BC) as a Corrosion Scientist. In this role I was responsible for conducting research on corrosion and materials selection for pulp and paper mills. Major research topics explored during my professional experience include: composite tube fireside cracking in kraft recovery boilers, superheater corrosion in biomass fired power boilers, concrete corrosion in effluent treatment systems, and corrosion of alloys in concentrated sulphuric acid. I am a member of NACE International, SAE International, ASM International, and ECS.
MATLS 1M03 Structure and Properties of Materials
MATLS 3T04 Phase Transformations
MATLS 4D03 Materials and the Environment
ENG 4T04 Materials Selection in Design & Manufacturing
MATLS 743 Advanced Topics in Corrosion Science & Engineering (Graduate)
Selected Journal Publications
- S.A. Jones, Y. Li, K.S. Coley, J.R. Kish, M.B. Ives, “Corrosion Potential Oscillations of Nickel-Containing Stainless Steel in Concentrated Sulphuric Acid: II Mechanism and Kinetic Modelling,” Corrosion Science, 52 (1), p. 250 (2010).
- J.R. Kish, N.J. Stead, D.L. Singbeil, “Corrosion Control of Type 316L Stainless Steel in Sulphamic Acid Cleaning Solutions,” Corrosion, 65 (7), p. 491 (2009).
- J.R. Kish, P. Eng, D.L. Singbeil, J.R. Keiser, Sulphidation Resistance of Composite Tube Materials, Materials at High Temperatures, 25 (2), p. 67 (2008).
- J.R. Kish, C. Reid, D.L. Singbeil, R. Seguin, Corrosion of High Alloy Superheater Tubes in a Coastal Biomass Power Boiler, Corrosion, 64 (4), p. 356 (2008).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, R. Seguin, Corrosion of Alloy 625 Bed Nozzle Alloys in a Wood-Waste Fluidized Bed Power Boiler, Materials Performance, 46 (9), p. 74 (2007).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, Biogenic H2SO4 Corrosion of Concrete in Pure Oxygen Activated Sludge Bioreactors, Tappi Journal, 6 (6), p. 3 (2007).
- J.R. Kish, J.R. Keiser, D.L. Singbeil, A. Willoughby, H. Longmire, Cracking of Composite Modified Alloy 825 Primary Air Port Tubes, Tappi Journal, 6 (4), p. 29 (2007).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, P. Eng, O. Posein, R. Seguin, Corrosion of Bed Nozzle Alloys in a Wood-Waste Fluidized Bed Power Boiler, Corrosion, 63 (2), p. 197 (2007).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, P. Eng, Corrosion of Alloys in a Simulated Wood-Waste Fluidizing Bed Power Boiler Environment, Corrosion, 62 (12), p. 1132 (2006).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, J.R. Keiser, Cracking Susceptibility of Alternative Composite Tube Alloys in a Molten Sodium Sulphide Hydrate-Sodium Hydroxide Salt Mixture, Corrosion, 62 (7), p. 624 (2006).
- R. Prescott, J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, Fouling and Corrosion of Bed Nozzles in a Bubbling Fluidized-Bed Power Boiler, Journal of Failure Analysis & Prevention, 6 (4), p. 65 (2006).
- L. Lapierre, C. Castro, J. Kish, G. Dorris, C. Chezick, J. Allen, G. Hill, J. Merza, D. Hanes, A 10 Day Mill Trial of Near Neutral Sulphite Deinking – Part III Overall Mill Assessment, Pulp and Paper Canada,107 (5), p. T114 (2006).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, J.R. Keiser, D.A. Wensley, F.R. Jetté, Cracking and Corrosion Performance of Composite Tubes and Air Port Designs in a Kraft Recovery Boiler, Pulp and Paper Canada, 106 (11) p. T223 (2005).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, C. Reid, Near Drum Tube Thinning in Coastal Power Boilers, Pulp and Paper Canada, 106 (7/8), p. T173 (2005).
- J.R. Rodda, M.B. Ives, J.R. Kish, Corrosion of Cathodes in Anodic Protection Systems in Hot Concentrated Sulfuric Acid: Part 2: Alternative Cathodes, Material Performance, 44 (8) p. 22 (2005).
- J.R. Rodda, M.B. Ives, J.R. Kish, Corrosion of Cathodes in Anodic Protection Systems in Hot Concentrated Sulfuric Acid: Part 1: Conventional Cathodes, Materials Performance, 44 (7), p. 20 (2005).
- J.R. Kish, D.L. Singbeil, J.R. Keiser, North American Experience with Composite Tubes in Kraft Recovery Boilers, Pulp and Paper Canada, 106 (4), p. T75 (2005)